Since 1998 Explorations: The UC Davis Undergraduate Research Journal has been highlighting the diversity and excellence of undergraduate research at UC Davis. Previously printed in hard copy, the journal makes its debut this year as a fully online publication. Through this format, we are very pleased to be able to increase the range of disciplines and the diversity of fine work represented, as well as to broaden our audience. In addition to the full–length articles below, a .pdf document of all abstracts can be downloaded here.
I invite you also to read the Preface written by UC Davis Professor of Political Science Larry Berman, winner of the 2010 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Research, about the value of the undergraduate research experience.
The editors and the nineteen undergraduates represented in this year's journal wish to thank Professor Berman and acknowledge the dedicated faculty mentors–professors, researchers and graduate students from UC Davis and elsewhere – who have mentored these students in their research.
We hope you enjoy this latest volume of Explorations.
Mark T. Hoyer
Funding for Explorations was generously provided by the Undergraduate Research Fund of the UC Davis "Students First" campaign of 1993.
Download individual essays
» by Professor Larry Berman
Table of Contents
- Assessment of IAPP Preamyloid Oligomers Accumulated in the Heart in Type-2 Diabetes
» by Laura-Flavia Andronic
- On Humanity's Frontier: Memory, Empathy, and Narrative in Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go
» by Michael Bolin
- Suid Bone Marrow Yields and Their Applications to Resource Choice and the Archaeological Record
» by Gillian Edwards
- Correlation of Brain Change and Cognitive Decline in the Elderly
» by Jillian Frediani
- Cognitive Impairments in Spatial Memory Tasks (Metric and Topological Spatial Information Tasks, and Barnes Maze) After Traumatic Brain Injury in Rats
» by Jennifer Gahan
- Female Heads of Government and the Use of Force:
A Comparative Study of Male and Female Leaders Analyzing Rates of Change in Military Expenditures
» by Sarah Gold
- Ralph Vaughan Williams: Music from War
» by Jaclyn Howerton
- Berlioz and Mendelssohn: Rivals or Equals?
» by Rachel Howerton
- Factors that Contribute to Successful Energy Efficient Transportation Practices
» by Krystal Laymon
- The Role of Yta7 in the DNA Damage Response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae
» by Ernest Maningding
- Surface Magneto Optic Kerr Effect of Co-Ta Thin Film
» by James Morad
- Who Do You Trust? Information Sharing, Privacy Concerns and Trust in an Online Social Network
» by Avinash P. Nayak
- Resolution of Boosted Top Quark Structure by Fitting to Distributions of Particle Energy
» by David Nisson
- Hippocampal Atrophy and Microstructural Damage in the Fornix Promote Cognitive Decline Through Separate Mechanisms
» by Mekala Raman
- What About Black Tea?
Estimating Its Effects on Cardiovascular Disease
» by Steven Santa Maria
- Why We Vote:
What Factors Affect the Youth Voter Turnout Rate?
An Analysis of the 2006 Midterm Elections in Montana and Virginia
» by Kelsey Skaggs
- Exploring Economically Sensible Solutions in Optimizing Algae Growth and Lipid Content for Biodiesel Feedstock
» by Ann Jing Wen Tan
- Marriage, Parental Influence, and Shifts in Party Identification:
The Role of Spouses in Partisanship Formation
» by Marcus Tang
- Genotypic and Phenotypic Diversity of Phages Infecting Marine Synechococcus
» by Megan D. Wilson